Tooth Decay Is Preventable.
Good news! Yes, in fact, tooth decay is preventable. Decay, which is caused by sugars left in your child’s mouth, can turn into an acid which in turn can break down his or her teeth. Children are at high risk for tooth decay for a simple reason: many children and adolescents tend to be lax in their oral hygiene habits.
How To Prevent Tooth Decay.
- Start early: After the age of two, brush your child’s teeth with fluoride toothpaste twice a day. And, if possible, clean between the teeth with dental floss at least once a day, preferably before they go to bed.
- Don’t allow your little ones to eat after cleaning teeth at bedtime, as salivary flow decreases while they sleep and their teeth become vulnerable to cavities.
- Do not allow your little ones to nibble food or sip drinks continuously, and keep in mind that a low sugar diet also helps keep tooth decay at bay. Allow time between meals for saliva to neutralize acids and repair teeth.
- Drinking water frequently throughout the day can also reduce the possibility of new cavities forming.
- Dental Sealants can also protect your child’s teeth from cavities. Sealants, which are applied to chewing surfaces of molars, act as a shield between the tooth and harmful bacteria.
Finally make sure your child visits Hendersonville Family Dentistry approximately every six months for checkup and routine cleaning.
Holiday Hours in Hendersonville, TN.
Christmas is a week from today! Are you getting excited? Have you finished your Christmas shopping? Everyone at work is getting excited about having some much needed time off to spend time with their friends & family! With that being said we want to inform you of our holiday hours.
We will be closed the following days:
Saturday-December 22, 2017
Monday -December 25, 2017
Tuesday-December 26, 2017.
Merry Christmas from Hendersonville Dentist
We hope that you enjoy your time with your friends and family this holiday season. We will resume normal office hours on Wednesday- December 27th at 8:00 am. If you are still needing to get into our office before the end of the year, please call and make your scheduled appointment. Appointments are going quickly!
When Was The Last Time You Visited Us?
Come say hello twice a year, multiple visits a year lets us keep an eye out for any developing issues. It’s important to remember that this goes for the whole family, children over one year old should be seeing Dr. Harbin and Dr. Jones.
Stay fresh at Hendersonville Family Dentistry, we have a virtually unlimited stock of toothbrushes and floss which means you have no excuse to be using a sad ineffective toothbrush. As soon as bristles begin to fray, pick up a new one or stop by our office in Hendersonville, TN and we’ll replace yours. On average you should be opening a new one every two to three months.
Brush & Floss For Goodness Sake!
Flossing is an efficient way to keep your whole mouth healthy. It not only protects your teeth by removing aggregated plaque, it keeps your gums happy too. Practicing regular healthy habits is essential to keeping your mouth and us happy. When it comes to brushing that means two minutes, two times a day. If your kids need some encouragement, try making a calendar or playing a song.
One way you can help us is spreading the love. Tell your friends about what a good thing we’ve got going here.
Baby Teeth Are Just As Important
Dr. Harbin and Dr. Jones and our team know it can be easy to underestimate the significance of baby teeth. At Hendersonville Family Dentistry, we sometimes meet parents who assume that since their child’s baby teeth, also known as primary teeth, eventually fall out and are replaced, they are less important. Did you know baby teeth serve purposes other than biting, chewing and digesting food properly?
Hendersonville Dentist Explains Why Baby Teeth Are Essential.
Baby teeth are essential not only for your child’s language development but they also serve other important functions, like contributing to the normal development of your child’s jaw bones and facial muscles. Baby teeth also reserve space for your child’s future permanent teeth.
If you have any questions about your toddler’s teeth, or if you child is experiencing issues that concern you, ,please give us a call to set up an appointment at our office, in Hendersonville TN.
Why Decline Going to the Dentist?
We recently learned that in a decade between 2000 and 2010, the amount of adults who regularly visited their dentist declined according to research. The percentage of adults who had regular checkups every six months declined from 41 percent in 2003 to 37 percent in 2010. The largest decline in dental care occurred in the 35 to 49 year old age group. That’s down from 43 percent in 2003 to just 38 percent in 2010.
There is some good news, however. While adults visit may have decreased, children’s visits were on the rise, particularly among low income families. More low income children are visiting the dentist now than they were ten years ago. Between 2000 and 2010, dental visits among low-income children increased in 47 states.
Every Six Months Please Come See Us.
Have you ever wondered why Dr. Harbin and. Dr. Jones recommend that you come into the office for a dental checkup and cleaning every six months? While daily oral hygiene habits are essential to good oral health professional dental cleanings at Hendersonville Family Dentistry ensure you and your child’s teeth are treated to a deeper level of cleaning in addition to a thorough cleaning and teeth polishing, regular visits at Hendersonville Family Dentistry help us detect and prevent the onset of tooth decay and periodontal disease. During your visit we’ll check the health of your mouth, teeth, gums, cheeks and tongue for symptoms of any oral disease. We will also check old fillings and restorations as these can wear away over time from constant chewing, clenching and or grinding at night.
If you are overdue for your next checkup and cleaning, please give us a call to schedule an appointment. 615-822-8262
Many patients are under the impression that the harder brushing leads to cleaner teeth, but that’s not true. Gentle brushing is just as effective, and less likely to cause damage. Other good brushing habits include brushing your teeth at least twice a day, replacing your toothbrush after a few months, and brushing for at least two minutes each time. It can be tough to keep track of the time when you are aiming for two minutes but these tips can help.
Two Minutes Twice A Day
- Set a timer: Setting a timer is a sure-fire way to hit your two-minute goal on the dot. Leave a kitchen timer in your bathroom so that it is easy to set each time you start brushing your teeth. Hit each surface of all of your top and bottom teeth, and keep brushing until the timer rings. Many electric toothbrushes have a built in timer that you can use instead of a kitchen timer.
- Entertaining Yourself for Two Minutes: Time flies when you are having fun, and you can stay entertained as you brush your teeth for two minutes here are some idea’s.
Time your favorite song and sing it in your head as you brush your teeth.
Find a two minute video on the internet that you want to watch, and start it when you begin to brush your teeth.
Do squats in the bathroom as you brush. By the time you get to 20 squats, your two minutes should be over IF you do them slowly.
- Allow Children to use technology: Toothsavors is an app designed to inspire children to brush. A game to fight an evil sorceress who causes cavities. A real life reminder to brush two a day. A built in timer that helps kids brush for two minutes.
Martin Luther King Jr.
Martin Luther King Jr Day (officially birthday of Martin Luther King Jr.) is an American federal holiday marking the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. It is observed on the third Monday of January each year, which is around King’s birthday, January 15. The holiday is similar to holidays set under the Uniform Monday Holiday Act.
King was the chief spokesman for nonviolent activism in the Civil Rights Movement, which successfully protested racial discrimination in federal and state law. The campaign for federal holiday in King’s honor began soon after his assassination in 1968. President Ronald Reagan signed the holiday into law in 1983, and it was first observed three years later. It was officially observed in all 50 states for the first time in 2000.
Hendersonville Dentist Open Today!
Although it is Martin Luther King Jr. Day our office is currently open. We are open for our normal office hours 8:00 am- 7:00 pm please call to schedule your appointment with us today. If you are unable to get in during the week please remember we are open every Saturday for your convenience.
Merry Christmas from Hendersonville Dentist.
We are just six days away from Christmas day! Have you done all of your shopping? Have you checked your list to make sure you aren’t missing anyone, have you checked it twice? Were you able to find the hot toy that your little has been begging and asking for since Thanksgiving?
Now that you are finished Christmas shopping, have you had a chance to get into our office to use your dental benefits before they expire on December 31st? We have appointments still available if you are needing to get into our office soon!
Holiday Hours- When We Will Be Closing & Opening.
Since this week and next week with the anticipation of Christmas we have days we will be closed. We will be closed on Friday-December 23 & Saturday-December 24. We will be OPEN the day after Christmas December 26th. We know most people have the day off after Christmas, so we are giving you the opportunity to take your day off and get into our office to use those unused dental benefits. Remember when the clock strikes midnight on December 31st they will be gone and the new year starts over again.
What is Family Dentistry?
Family dentistry is a popular term in dentistry and is often mistaken for general dentistry. Actually, family dentistry is your one shop solution for all of your dental needs. Family dentists provide dental care to people of all ages. If you have children at home, then you can consider visiting a family dentist. Their expertise lies in providing the best solution for you and your family’s oral well-being. They understand the dental needs of children, adults, and the elderly very well.
Family Dentist Provide Services Such As:
- Gum Disease Treatments
- Filling of Cavity
- Fluoride Treatments
- Regular Cleanings ‘
- Dental Extractions
- Professional Teeth Whitening
- Wisdom Tooth removal
There are some great benefits of having a family dentist.For example there is no age criteria, it’s a one stop solution for all of your dental needs. We are open six days a week so there is 24/7 help available. Best of all you have a life long membership. There isn’t an reason to visit another dentist for any reason. Your child can be treated for their dental needs at the same place when they grow into adults. Your family’s record will be there and the quality of service will not be compromised. In a nutshell having a family dentist would be a great choice in several ways.
Reducing or Eliminating Bad Breath.
Nobody likes bad breath, and although it can sometimes be difficult to tell if you have it, it is always better to practice good oral health than risk having a smelly mouth. There are many ways to reduce or eliminate bad breath, some are definitely more effective and longer lasting than others.
Ways to Reduce Bad Breath
- Floss regularly- As difficult as it can be to remember to floss regularly, when it comes to bad breath, flossing is one of the easiest and most cost effective ways to freshen your mouth. By flossing you are reducing the plaque and bacteria found in areas of your mouth that a toothbrush simply can’t reach, and in return it rids your mouth of the smell associated with that bacteria.
- Use Mouthwash- Using some sort of mouthwash can really freshen up your breath, especially if you find it still smells after brushing and flossing.
- Always Brush After You Sleep- Whether after taking a nap, or having a full nights sleep, you will want to brush your teeth in order to reduce bad breath. The truth is, bacteria accumulates in your mouth while you are sleeping ( even during a short nap) and that is ultimately the source of bad breath.
There are many ways to freshen your breath beyond just using gum or mints, the above mentioned are just a few for you to try. Test them out and you will likely find your bad breath problem is solved, or at least considerably reduce.