Does Eating Affect My Gums?
Gums are the hero of the mouth, they keep your teeth secure, protect your oral bones, and battle against bacteria on a daily basis. While we take care to make sure that our teeth are properly cleaned daily, we can often forget to take care of our gums. An easy way to make sure your gums are getting the healthy support they need is through your diet.
Gum-Loving Foods to Incorporate into your diet.
- Onions can neutralize oral bacteria, they have microbial properties that target the most common types of bacteria that can cause gum disease and cavities.
- Leafy greens, such as kale & spinach are filled to the brim with mouth-healthy vitamins and minerals. They hold vitamin C, which boosts the production of red blood cells and reduces inflammation.
- Green Tea can stave off inflammation of the body. Try drinking green tea daily to give your gums a healthy boost.
- Celery, carrots and apples these foods are very crunchy and they are excellent at scraping away stuck on food and plaque. Crunchy fruits and vegetables also happen to be high in fiber, which, again, means they take longer to chew and generate more saliva. Saliva is great for flushing the mouth of bacteria near the gum line.
- Milk, yogurt and cheese dairy products are great for teeth because they are high in calcium, a mineral that helps to strengthen bone, but they also are great for your gums. Include a healthy amount of dairy in your diet by drinking a cup of milk daily or by eating snacks that include dairy such as cheese or yogurt.